Saturday, June 14, 2008

Petersburg, Alaska

Day 24 Saturday June 14, 2008

John and I are currently in Petersburg, Alaska which is 107.1 miles south of Juneau, Alaska and 171.7 miles from Glacier Bay which is our northern most point we want to travel along with Saoirse and Code Blue. Gosh, what a trip we have had. The weather continues to be on our side with only a day or two layover days. We now need to slow down and enjoy the sites, do a little fishing, crabbing, shrimping and hopefully a lot of whale watching.

We went through Wrangell Narrows today and arrived in Petersburg around 12:30 at the fuel dock and we are now safely tied up to the North Harbor dock in Petersburg for 2 or 3 days. We left our moorage in Wrangell at 6:15am and entered the narrows at 11:30. The narrows were 21 miles long with the narrowest part 12 miles from the southern entrance. What an amazing trip we had. The weather and seas were calm and the temp was 59.5 in the cockpit where I stayed for the duration of the trip counting off the 60 markers and buoys along the way. I have never seen so many of them in one place.

There continues to be so many eagles and at this one area in the Narrows, there was a few fishing lodges and John counted over 30 eagles in the trees and I’m sure they waiting around the docks for the fisherman to arrive and clean their fish. There were probably more juveniles in the trees but the white heads stood out in the tall trees with the binoculars. I was just so excited…..

Now we are in Petersburg and John counted 25 eagles flying around in the harbor above the boats, just like the sea gulls would do in Everett, Wa marinas. As I sit here on the Omega I look out our windows and see the majestic bird sitting on top of mast, poles or roofs around the marina. In the past, I have not heard the eagle call that much but now I find it very recognizable and comforting for some reason. We have always enjoyed watching them from afar and this just makes it that much better. I find it amazing and just beautiful….

John just told me that when he was walking up to the dock masters office, a very large sea lion came up in the fairway with a fish in its mouth. A few barks and a few gulps and the fish was gone and so was the sea lion not more than 10 yards away. The marina at Petersburg to say the least rustic, you feel like you step back in time with all the fishing boats and their gear. Many are fueling up to head out for the opening day of crab season tomorrow.

No comments: